Saturday, December 25, 2010

Hungry Like The Wolf part 2

I've been running these past few weeks. I owe this fitness fanaticism to my nephew and his "gift of music".The day he started drumming on my belly while I was asleep was the day I started to take exercising seriously.


I've been running before. I've joined in on some fun runs and mock marathons. I mostly walk the whole 5k stretch, but I finish it nonetheless. The effect of being an occasional runner is that, you don't really invest on a set of "gear".

The first thing I did when I decided to run was to equip myself with the needed tools to at least look good with this newly realized endeavor. First things first, I needed rubber shoes, which I have. I own a pair of white Nike running shoes with red lining. "Awesome", I said to myself. Then, I would need a dri-fit top. I had one! A white and blue singlet I got from one of my occasional fun runs. "Sassy", I thought to myself. Then I would need shorts, comfortable ones. My brother owns a pair of black with green lining dri-fit shorts. "This will do", I said.


All set, I placed all the gear in a bag and went on my way. When I got there, I hurriedly put on my gear and psyched myself. What I didn't realize is that I kind of grew quite a lot since the last time that I went on a fun run. The singlet was too tight. The shorts were about 4 inches above my knee. One more thing, I got black socks instead of white. I looked like a COLOR BLIND PREGNANT 15 YEAR OLD WHO SUDDENLY GREW 200% IN 5 MINUTES. I looked horrible. But I can't do anything about it now. My determination was overpowering my humiliation. So I still ran.



Let me take you back for a moment here, sometime when I was in 1st grade. We really didn't have much back then. Everything I got was either a worn out hand me down or made out of cardboard. That goes for rubber shoes too. So I was very careful in using them. The effect was that I never learned to run properly. This is the way I run; elbows close to hips, shoulders up, knees close to each other, and for some reason, my upper body is slightly bent forward (what the hell right?!).




My forehead seem to produce 500% perspiration more than any of my other body parts. It seems to generate more water than my mouth. As I ran, sweat dripped from my forehead to my eyes, blinding me with salty perspiration. So more often that not, I was wiping sweat off my eyes.

For some reason, I wanted to run to 80's music. I was running to the music of "Hungry Like The Wolf"! When I ran that day, considering the way that I run and the amount of forehead sweat that I produce, I looked like THE 5th LITTLE PIG WHO WENT WEE WEE WEE ALL THE WAY HOME. It wasn't as awesome as I imagined it to be. It wasn't "Hungry Like the Wolf" video material. It was more like "Sweating Like a Pig"!



I ran for about 20 minutes until I couldn't open my eyes anymore so I had to stop. I may have been asked if I was okay by more people than I expected. My eyes were all red as I changed gear and went home. I lost more of my dignity than calories that day. Talk about an epic fail!

The Wolf won't be letting a setback like that from achieving the washboard abs I've always dreamed of. The Wolf is still Hungry, time to gear up again and run!

No comments:

Post a Comment