Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Smoking and Faith

I used to think that blogging was a way to feel superior. You can't blame me for thinking that way. You're reading mine now and I'm not reading yours. You're giving me a portion of your precious time without me asking for it. Tell me if that doesn't boost your ego if you were on the writing side of this delicate and developing relationship.

A friend of mine changed my mind. Thanks retard!

On to my chosen topic...

I've been smoking for more than 10 years now and I've been wanting to quit for the longest time. You see, despite not having to grow up with a typical family, I developed into quite a principled bloke. I often channel these principles into wrong situations, but they are principles nonetheless.

The reason why I can't quit smoking is because I hate giving up. I still believe that there is something good I can get out of this. I think of smoking as the most misunderstood and totally the underdog among all of the vices there is. You have alcohol, which in moderation they say is good for you. You also have drugs (MJ's, E's, K's, A's, the whole alphabet if that's you get off that way...), which open your creative mind and oftentimes the catalyst for some of the most beautiful art and music there is. There is also sex, I will not even begin to state how good that is physically and psychologically. But with smoking, everything you hear is bad. It stinks, it ruins the appetite, it's the leading cause of most of the illnesses that kill us today.

I'm not losing hope though. Someday, someone will find out the true essence of smoking. Plus, there is this rumor that if you've been smoking for more than 10 years, stopping won't prevent you from getting the illnesses that smoking brings. So I'm in for the vigil. Let's find the virtue that will justify why the cigarette was invented. Even the dynamite was intended to be used to uplift the human condition. Why not cigarettes?

I read this during my last trip to Macau,



"Half the vices which the world condemns most loudly have seeds of good in them and require moderate use than total abstinence."

This quote just suddenly jumped to the top of my favorite quotes list! The artwork was done by a man totally obsessed with smoking.

Later, this cigarette won't smoke itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment